Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Conditioning Games

I am looking for ideas for fitness games that includes cardio and other fit components. I want to know what you tried and what your students liked?
thanks
Patrick

2 comments:

Hoff said...

A couple of ideas I might have is water polo if you have a pool. For my players, they aren't allowed in the shallow end 5 different people have to touch the ball before it is scored, you can't pass to the person that passed to you, and if it is a change of possession the kid's have to swim 5 hard strokes away from the net. Also, regular water polo rules apply.

We also do relays with sprints. For example, they sprint from one baseline to another, must perform 10 push-ups, then sprint back. I modify their sprints and workouts for each round. The team that loses has another down and back. My examples are for older individuals obviously, and semi sport specific but they might help spark an idea for you. another thing I did in high school that I loved and was great for fundamentals and conditioing is the daily dozen. We started our practices doing different lay-ups, power moves and jump shots full court. Starting on the right side on the baseline, they do a lay-up, afinger roll, power lay-up, crossover at the elbow into a left handed lay-up, a reverse lay-up, and finally a pull up jump shot. this is continous full court. Then switch the left hand.

Hopefully that is helpful.

Patrick D said...

Thanks for the insight. Can you go into more details with the daily dozen? I can use this for my basketball unit.